Welcome to Weblogs page. Here we describe the construction of kietygory.com website. The topics describe down to HTML and CSS level. The philosophy is to use only free tools and to in as much as possible maintain website design freedom.
We use WordPress and make our own customization of Twenty Sixteen Theme. This is the latest free theme that shows up after WordPress installation and has over 1 million users. We chose this theme because it is free, made by WordPress organisation which means it has large support base, is similar to previous years’ WordPress Twenty Something Themes which means we can implement codes in earlier themes with minor adjustments. Most importantly, this theme is mobile adapted meaning the website automatically adjust to a variety of screen sizes from smallest smart phone to largest screeen set.
Of course, all our topics are already much better explained in other websites specifically dedicated to WordPress learning (e.g WPBeginner, Elegantthemes). However, this is a live example of Twenty Sixteen child theme and its implementation, something that is sometimes hard to find when searching for code instructions.
The notes are not as thoroughly described as other websites on same topics, since we use this site mainly as notes for ourselves to remember. However, plz feel free to shoot email and ask for clarifications.
The plugins and programs we strongly recommend (this list is continually updated):
- WP Editor plugin displays codes in different colours. Really helpful!
- Crayon Syntax Highlighter plugin displays codes on the websites. This helped us since Weblogs page is dedicated to topics on coding this website.
- Notepad++ program edits html and css files. Recommend to change to dark display theme to help the eyes when spending many hours in front of computer.
- GIMP image program to resize the pictures since large pictures will quickly make your homepage slow. Also here is a link to royalty free pictures.
- XAMP program that sets up localhost in your computer so you can test run the website codes without impacting your live website. We have written some comments on installation in this post.
- Duplicator This backup your wordpress files and contents. Can also transfer your wordpress from live site to localhost. Both are difficult but the plugin is useful to have.
- Plugin link text xxxx
- Plugin link text xxxx